26.2.10

frantic frustration

The opportunity to have a roundtable brainstorm/discussion with various other nonprofit workers today was a little bit mindblowing. I spend much of my professional time thinking about things that have little relevance to my current position and much relevance to my devoted volunteer activities. I think a lot about how frustrating the world is, how I am having an impossibly hard time thinking about how to put my talents to work, thinking about how my favorite thing to do is make connections and then see things happen via those connections. I truly think that is my FAVORITE thing to do.

I’ve been brainstorming a way to bring it all together: my love of the arts, my wish for artists to be able to thrive and make a living, my love for my deeply flawed community, my love for this silly city I find myself devoted to, a way to make the disparate but deeply similar activities I do come together holistically…I am looking toward some very contemporary models: Etsy, Shunpike, um, I can’t think of others.

I wish I had a mentor, I wish someone other than me could help me think strategically about this, I wish I was more dedicated and could find a way to just sit down and be strategic on my own. I wish I wasn’t scared to just jump off the cliff. Apparently I don’t trust myself.

4 comments:

Beezus said...

You should probably be applying to the MCDM program with me.

Unknown said...

My friend is currently in that program; she loves it. I think I would be a jerk in it as I am not deeply optimistic!

In Earnest said...

Every program needs a jerk! Te pessimism can motivate, at least to an extent.

Jump off the cliff; it's scary, but it's better than feeling stuck and rudderless. A person needs purpose, and you need purpose in your work.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Earnest!